What Is Low-Hanging Fruit?
Definition: Low-hanging fruit is a metaphor for tasks and goals that are well within reach and demand little time, effort, and resources for completion.
In orchards, it’s the fruit on lower branches; in business, low-hanging fruit refers to tried-and-true and safe strategies, albeit less valuable and impactful.
Examples of Low-Hanging Fruit
Here are examples of excellent low-hanging fruits in marketing and sales:
- Reusing previous holiday-specific eCommerce strategies, such as Black Friday deals;
- Targeting low-hanging, but specific SEO keywords with less competition;
- Content repurposing, updating, and resharing.
Pros and Cons of Focusing on the Low-Hanging Fruit
Going for the low-hanging fruit first is attractive for several reasons:
- It requires little effort;
- The results are fast and visible;
- It is a low-risk endeavor with less impact on the budget.
However, picking the low-hanging fruit is not a standalone, sustainable business model. Eventually, you will run out of the low-hanging fruit, so use it to supplement your other, more complex business plans.